TJ’s T-shirt Quilt (x2)

Introduction/Background

I have FINALLY finished TJ’s t-shirt quilt. I don’t even want to look at it anymore. I did one of the more complicated patterns from this book. Not only that, but I did it on both sides. So this is really two t-shirt quilts. The cutting and ironing and sewing took forever. Not only due to the fabrics, but the fact I used interfacing on every. single. t-shirt. So I had to cut the t-shirts to size, cut the interfacing to size (I buy it by the yard–in this case I bought the bolt), cut all of the other fabrics, piece the blocks, then sew everything together. It took forever. On top of that, I hand-quilted the entire thing. This has been the most tedious and largest quilt I have made so far. I HATE hand quilting T-shirt fabric. You have to be careful to not pull too tight on the thread, etc. I still have 2-3 t-shirt quilts to go based on the amount of t-shirts I have left. There will be one of my t-shirts and at least one of TJ’s boy scout shirts. I’m planning on doing quilt-as-you-go quilts for those. Specifically, I will be doing a rag quilt next.

The Assembly

I highly recommend that T-shirt ruler for perfect squares. If you are making them smaller than 15″ and using the inner guides, make sure to purchase marking pencils/markers in both light and dark as well as long-tipped since the slots are narrow. First I cut the t-shirts down to squares, then the interfacing. Then, ironed them together. This allows for a stiffer fabric and prevents the shirts from stretching (and making a wonky quilt).

After the T-shirt blocks were cut, ironed, and assembled, I had to decide on how to arrange everything on both sides of the quilt and sew the blocks together in rows.

Progress! All the work was coming together, and both sides were put together.

Then, I added the border. Soccer balls were fitting. Most of the shirts were either for cross country or for soccer, and a few for swimming.

Then, I needed to prep the sandwich for quilting. So many safety pins! I used lightweight batting to keep it from being too heavy but still give it substance.

I do not machine quilt (at least not yet), and can’t afford to get quilts done by long arm. So, I hand quilt. It adds a personal touch…and takes a long time. I decided to go with a random zigzag design. I used a variegated, bright rainbow thread. I also hand stitched the binding. I had added a border of the scraps on one side and did a fold-over binding using that.

Agent Zero was very helpful throughout the process.

The Finished Project

Voila!

20160129_222346

Stamp of approval.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “TJ’s T-shirt Quilt (x2)

  1. That’s amazing! Great work! Also, a rag quilt with tshirts can be tricky because of material. I suggest using flannel for the center (rag quilts are three layers), and make sure to line things up PERFECTLY for both sides. One side will be fuzzy, the other flat.

    Like

    • Yep, got it all planned out already 🙂 still gonna use interfacing one inch smaller than the shirts to prevent interfacing to show in the rags

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s